The PJI Youth Academy is a community building experience hosted by the Valencia College Peace and Justice Institute for 9th - 12th graders in Central Florida, with a mission to help youth develop their voice and become much needed advocates in peace and social justice. Participants in the program will gain a deeper and more personal understanding of PJI Principles that allow them to engage others in order to take a more active role in communities and grow into active participants of society, while developing life-long skills in leadership and development.
This program will open your mind and heart while sparking your creative energy for the greater good. Each day will include focused time and safe social interactions (virtual this Summer) with engaging facilitators leaving you with resources and tools to practice after each live meeting.
Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pji-youth-academy-summer-2020-tickets-113005221660
Sunday, August 2 I 7:00 - 8:30 PM via Zoom
Monday, August 3 I 1:00 - 4:00 PM via Zoom
Wednesday, August 5 I 1:00 - 4:00 PM via Zoom
Friday, August 7 I 1:00 - 4:00 PM via Zoom
- Discover & Build awareness through the Principles For How We Treat Each Other
- Apply & Compare equity principles to current/lived experiences
- Explore & Develop sustainable peace & social justice practices
Workshop Completion Requirements:
- Attend Orientation along with 3 sessions (Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri)
- Complete Reflection/Discussion activities in-between sessions
- Access & Print Materials of Toolkit for use during sessions
Sunday, August 2: 7:00 - 8:30 PM via Zoom
- Welcome/Expectations/Access/Canvas Review
- Introduction to the PJI Principles & You!
Monday, August 3: 1:00 - 4:00 PM via Zoom
- Using the Principles - Model & Practice Serial Testimony
- Deeper dive into Your Sense of Self
- How to BE the Change - developing a personal peace practice
Wednesday, August 5: 1:00 - 4:00 PM via Zoom
- Your Intention through the Principles
- What is the Danger of a Single Story? A brief history of protests in Sports
- Explore Daily Peace Practice, Vocabulary of Peace
- Philosophy & History of Peace and Activism (even locally)
- How can we Humanize Conflict?
Friday, August 7: 1:00 -4:00 PM via Zoom
- Understanding Privilege/Equity and Systems of Oppression
- Tools of Mindfulness for Social Justice. Your Sense of Resilience /Your Inner Resource
- Allyship & Anti-Oppression
Friday, August 7, 2020 at 1:00pm to 4:00pm